File An Appeal

If you or the defendant is dissatisfied with the judgment of the Court, the matter may be appealed (removed) to District Court. In order to do this a Demand for Removal and an Affidavit of Service must be filed with the Court Administrator within 23 days of the date the judgment was mailed. An additional filing fee is also required.


If a judgement is appealed to District Court, a new trial will take place and a completely new proceeding will commence. The trial can be by jury if a jury demand is filed. Both parties may be represented by attorneys.

You should not rely on anything that was said or that happened in Conciliation Court. Again, you should be prepared to present your case, have your witnesses ready to testify and have all your evidence available.


If you appeal to District Court and do not win, you will be required to pay the other party $200 as costs. You will not have to pay the other party if:
  • You win your case in District Court and get either 50% of what you requested or more than $500 in money or goods.
  • The other party wins some amount in Conciliation Court, but nothing in District Court.
  • You win at least $500 in money or goods or 50% more in District Court than you received in Conciliation Court.
  • The other party has the amount won from you in Conciliation Court reduced by at least $500 or 50% by District Court.