Brain Injury Waiver


The Brain Injury (BI) waiver is a home and community-based service necessary as an alternative to institutionalization that promote the optimal health, independence, safety and integration of a person and who would otherwise require the level of care provided in a specialized nursing facility or neurobehavioral hospital.

The Brain Injury Waiver provides funding for home and community-based services for children and adults who have an acquired or traumatic brain injury. People may receive BI Waiver services in:
their home
  • Assisted living facility
  • Biological or adoptive family's home
  • Board and lodging facility
  • Corporate foster care home
  • Family foster care home
  • Relative's home (e.g. sibling, aunt, grandparent etc.)
  • While living at home with his or her spouse (if married)

Services Provided

Services covered by the BI Waiver include:
  • 24-hour emergency assistance
  • Adult companion services
  • Adult day care/adult day care bath
  • Behavioral support
  • Caregiver living expenses
  • Case management aide
  • Case management/service coordination
  • Chore services
  • Consumer directed community supports (CDCS)
  • Crisis respite
  • Customized living
  • Customized living 24-hour
  • Environmental accessibility adaptations
  • Extended home care services
  • Family training and counseling
  • Foster care
  • Home delivered meals
  • Homemaker
  • Housing access coordination
  • ILS therapies
  • Independent living skills (ILS) training
  • Night supervision services
  • Prevocational services
  • Residential care services
  • Respite care
  • Specialized supplies and equipment
  • Structured day program
  • Supported employment services
  • Transitional services
  • Transportation


A screening process determines if you are eligible for the BI Waiver. You are eligible if you meet the following criteria:
  • Are assessed at Level IV or above on the Rancho Los Amigos Levels of Cognitive Functioning Scale
  • Are certified as disabled by the State Medical Review Team or by the Social Security Administration
  • Are determined to need the level of care available in a nursing facility or neurobehavioral hospital
  • Are eligible for Medical Assistance
  • Are under the age of 65 years when the waiver is opened
  • Choose services in the community instead of services in a nursing facility or neurobehavioral hospital
  • Experience significant/severe behavioral and cognitive problems related to the injury or disease
  • Have a documented diagnosis of traumatic or acquired brain injury or degenerative disease diagnosis where cognitive impairment is present, provided the diagnosis is not congenital
Once your eligibility is determined for participation in the BI Waiver, certain questions must be asked about services including:
  • Are the services necessary to ensure your recipient's health, welfare and safety?
  • Have all options been assessed and does this option meet your needs and preferences?
  • Is the cost of the service considered reasonable and customary?
  • Is the service covered by any other funding source, for example, Medical Assistance state plan services, private health care coverage, Medicare, education or Vocational Rehabilitation Service funding?


You may enroll in the program by:

  • Completing the Adult Intake Form
  • Contacting your county's social services or public health department intake at 218-327-2941
  • Contacting your health plan provider if you are already on Medical Assistance
  • Logging onto the MinnesotaHelp website
    • MinnesotaHelp is online directory of services designed to help people in Minnesota identify resources such as human services, information and referral, financial assistance, and other forms of aid and assistance within Minnesota. It is especially rich in resource information for seniors and their caregivers, people with disabilities and their caregivers, parents and families and low-income people. This information is available in other forms to people with disabilities by contacting us at 651-431-2600. TTY users can call through Minnesota Relay at 800-627-3529. For Speech to Speech Relay, call 877-627-3848. For additional assistance with legal rights and protections for equal access to human services programs, contact our agency's ADA coordinator.