Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Itasca County participates in a Joint Powers Agreement between the Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD) in Duluth, the MN Pollution Control Agency and seven northeastern regional counties. (Lake, Cook, St. Louis, Carlton, Aitkin, Koochiching, & Itasca). Under this agreement, Environmental Service Department staff receives safety, categorization, and MN Dept. of Transportation certification to collect and properly pack household hazardous waste for shipment to the WLSSD facility in Duluth. Veolia, the current State Contractor, then picks up the consolidated waste for final disposition at either an incinerator, recycler or HHW landfill.

What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?​

​When certain household chemicals are not used up, they can become household hazardous waste. Many household products contain the same chemicals as strictly regulated industrial wastes and pose similar environmental and health problems. Although the quantities of chemicals disposed of by individual households may be small, the number of households in Minnesota are many, and the amount of waste adds up.

If you see words such as: 

​Contains Acid
​Contains Lye
​Contains Petroleum Distillates

These words on product labels are  hazardous to the environment and human health. Don’t throw them in the trash or pour them down the drain! Other materials such as rechargeable batteries, medical sharps and fluorescent bulbs also cannot be placed in the trash.

How can HHW be disposed of?

​Itasca County residents can call the Environmental Services office at (218)327-2857 to set up an appointment for one of the HHW collection days.

Location and Hours

​Household Hazardous Waste is typically collected twice a month on Wednesday's between April through October and once per month from November through March at the Itasca County Transfer Station HHW room at 29959 East Bass Lake Road, Cohasset, MN. Please call 218-327-2857 for the exact dates and to setup an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

Contact the Environmental Services Department in advance at 218-327-2857.  Appointments must be scheduled in advance to ensure we have staff and knowledge of the types of HHW you are bringing in.

What does it cost?

​Because the cost is included the Solid Waste Assessment Fee, there is no additional cost to residents of the County.

Who can participate in Itasca County HHW collection?

​Itasca County Residents.  Businesses must participate in clean shop, which is a biannual business hazardous waste collection.

Important Info:

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Guide
Managing unwanted Medications